We invite applications or nominations for membership on the “Reacting to the Past” Consortium Board (RCB). The RCB is responsible for the intellectual content and the dissemination of the RTTP program. The RCB operates in conjunction with Barnard College, which houses and supports the RTTP administrative operation. A list of current board members can be found here.
The coming months will see exciting developments for “Reacting to the Past.” We are revamping the editorial process to promote the development, publication, and marketing of additional games in the RTTP series. We also plan to transform our informal organization into an independent Reacting Consortium and begin to provide an array of new benefits to institutional and individual members to help disseminate the RTTP pedagogy. Thus we are seeking a diverse set of talents on the Board to help advise RTTP staff in four primary areas:
- Establishing a game development process in collaboration with our publisher that determines games that can achieve the official “Reacting to the Past” designation, and shepherd them in development through the testing, revision and publication process;
- Providing faculty development support and advice on teaching using RTTP;
- Working to develop membership and disseminating knowledge about RTTP pedagogy through dedicated conferences, on-campus workshops, electronic media, and sessions at academic and professional association meetings; and
- Identifying potential revenue streams, including the development of grant proposals and institutional support mechanisms for RTTP activities.
The RCB will fill three positions in June 2012. Membership is for a three-year term. The RCB meets annually at the institute held at Barnard College each June, and conducts other business through electronic communication throughout the year.
We are also soliciting participants for working subcommittees that focus on three key program areas: Editorial; Conferences & Communications; and Membership & Development. Faculty and administrators may be invited to serve on an individual subcommittee without being a member of the full RCB.
For the first time, the Board will also be adding two student associate members in addition to regular members. Faculty are asked to nominate students or recent graduates; students may self-nominate by indicating a faculty member or administrator who will serve as a reference. Associate members will be chosen based on their overall academic excellence and their experience with and interest in RTTP (including completion of RTTP course(s); service as a student preceptor; participation in a RTTP workshop or the annual institute). Student nominees should provide a 1-2 page vita indicating their institution, major, significant curricular or co-curricular experiences along with a 1-2 page statement of interest. The RCB will evaluate the applications, as well as attempt to balance out the associate membership by having the students drawn from different institutions. In order to stagger the student membership for these initial openings, one student will be awarded a one-year membership on the RCB and one a two-year.
Nominations should be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, May 25, 2012. All nominations should consist of:
- a statement that summarizes the candidate’s experience with RTTP, including any activities or special skills relevant to the organizational areas outlined above;
- an indication of the positions for which the candidate is being nominated (board and/or subcomittees); and
- contact information for the candidate or, for self nominations, a brief vita (no more than 2 pages).