About the Board
The mission of the Reacting Consortium is to promote imagination, inquiry, and engagement as foundational features of teaching and student learning in higher education through the development and dissemination of Reacting to the Past role playing games.
The Board of the Reacting Consortium is made up of experienced faculty and administrators, and two student alumni members. Together, they determine matters of policy and make recommendations on the annual budget, game development and publication, communications, external funding, and strategic planning.
The Reacting Consortium develops Reacting to the Past (RTTP) role playing games to inform and transform student learning in American higher education. These games effectively support the achievement of critical thinking, historical and intercultural knowledge, empathy, leadership, integrative learning, effective communication skills, and intellectual curiosity among students. They promote innovative teaching by faculty and administrators of higher education.
The Consortium develops Reacting to the Past (RTTP) games for publication through a partnership with an established publisher. It provides faculty with opportunities to learn the highly interactive RTTP pedagogy and to join a community of practice in the support of undergraduate teaching and learning. It provides institutions with effective programs of faculty development and with tools for innovation in curriculum design to encourage advanced accomplishment across both disciplinary and interdisciplinary programs.
REACTING CONSORTIUM BOARD
- Ben Alpers, University of Oklahoma (2019-2022)
- Tony Crider, Elon University (Chair, 2018-2021)
- Ethan Fredrick (Alumni Member, 2019-2021)
- Gretchen Galbraith, SUNY - Potsdam (Vice Chair, 2018-2021)
- Dorothea Herreiner, Loyola Marymount University (2018-2021)
- Joseph Hogan (Alumni Member, 2018-2020)
- Jennifer Jung-Kim, University of California - Los Angeles (2018-2021)
- Paula Lazrus - St. John's University (2019-2022)
- John Lucaites - Indiana University - Bloomington (2017-2020)
- Kelly McFall - Newman University (2017-2020)
- John Carter McKnight - Harrisburg University of Science & Technology (2018-2021)
- Verdis Robinson - Campus Compact (2018-2021)
- Judith Shapiro - The Teagle Foundation (emerita) (2018-2021)
- Mary Jane Treacy - Simmons College (emerita) (2019-2022)
- Beth Wightman - California State University - Northridge (2019-2022)
- Chair: Tony Crider
Chair: Dorothea Herreiner
Membership & Outreach Committee
Chair: Maddie Provo
Governance & Nominations Committee
Chair: Gretchen Galbraith
Chair: Verdis Robinson
Chair: Jace Weaver
Chair: Nick Proctor
Please note that our committees are comprised of both Reacting Consortium Board members and non-board members of our community. If you are interested in serving on a committee, please contact the committee chair for more information.
We will be seeking applications in Winter and Spring. The deadline for nominations is March 15. Check back closer to the deadline for more information.
The Reacting Consortium Board is comprised of affiliated faculty with experience in game or course development or administrators drawn from member institutions. Each new board member is elected to a three-year term by a majority vote of the current board. The members of the board will hold three-year staggered appointments and may be re-elected once for a total of two terms. A member who has achieved the term limit must wait at least two years before being eligible for nomination to the board again.
Each board member is expected to attend the board meeting at the Annual Institute at Barnard College
(planned yearly for early June) as well as to participate in both quarterly phone conference calls
for the entire Board and smaller electronic committee meetings that take place throughout the